Kindergarten - Mrs. Lori Brogdon
I was born and raised in Kansas City, MO (Go Chiefs) and moved to the Bay Area over 20 years ago.Education is a second career for me and I am so blessed to be doing what I love. I taught pre-school for 12 years in Burlingame and am passionate about Early Childhood Education. I recently returned to graduate school to complete my Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. This is my third year teaching Kindergarten and I am honored to be starting my career at Beresford.
I am the proud mom of two very active boys.Nickolas, (17) is a Junior at Hillsdale High School and Matthew (13) is a seventh grader at Bowditch Middle School.`I have been happily married to my husband, Michael, for 19 years. Our beloved German Shepherd, Kodi, keeps us moving each day. Running, reading and trips to the beach are weekend favorites of mine.
Kindergarteners amaze me each and every day. I learn from them, grow with them and celebrate successes with them. I am excited to teach them all the wonders of learning.
Messages from Mrs. Brogdon
Please make sure to attend the Monday morning announcements in the LGI
What we're learning
- Retell Key Events
- Make, Confirm, and Revise Predictions
- Retell Story Events
- Clarify New Meanings for Familiar Words
- Compare and Contrast the Adventures of Two Characters
- Compare and Contrast Two Fictional Texts
- Relate Words to Their Opposites
- Use Text Features: Illustrations and Captions
- Identify New Meanings for Familiar Words
- Make Connections Between Information in the Text and the Photos
- Identify Author’s Reasons
- Compare and Contrast a Story and an Informational Text
- Use Illustrations to Compare and Contrast Story Characters and Setting
- Nouns Vs. Verbs
- Singular Vs Plural (-s)
- Present Vs. Past (-ed)
- Narrative -story telling events in the order they occurred
- Opinion Writing-stating a preference with reasoning about a topic
- We've now covered all the letters and their corresponding sounds in the alphabet: practice DAILY USING YOUR ABC CHART. If your child is ready, use the back side for cluster sounds
- Sight Words: and, you, do, big, with, has, he, little, play, she : practice writing these at home. Use them in sentences. Use your flashcards!
- Make predictions
- Does that word make sense? Go back, re-read
- Stretch out the word-d-o-g
- Use beginning sound with picture
- Use words around the unfamiliar word to clarify meaning
- Identify characters and setting
- Talk about my favorite picture
- How is the character Feeling?
- Re-tell the story
- Think: has this ever happened to me?
Read daily and use your BEAR Card questions
- Past, Present, Future
- Jobs in our local community
- Earth is made up of land, air and water
- 5 Senses
- We have identified and practiced writing numerals 1-20
- We are using 10 frames to represent numbers 1-20
- Understanding base 10-"16 is 1 ten and 6 ones"
- Counting Collections: counting miscellaneous objects to 100. How can we count? Make a plan. Would sorting make it easier? How will I keep track of the items I've already counted (move them aside? put in a cup? ) Group by 10's, group by 5's..Group by 2's : Record what you have counted onto a recording sheet. Draw a picture representing how you counted. Does the drawing match the actual items counted? Can you write the corresponding number correctly? Can you explain your quantity to someone?
Thank you, as always, for your support!
Things we could use in Room #2
- Diaper Wipes
- Dry Erase Markers (large)
- Gallon of Elmer's Glue
- Side Walk Chalk for Recess Play
- Play- Doh
Mrs. Lori Brogdon
Upcoming Classroom Events:
March 16- San Jose Discovery Museum Field Trip
March 28-Fun Run
March 30-Minimum Day Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm
April 2-15-No School-Spring Break
March 28- April 8-Spring Break
May 9-Founder's Day/Talent Show
May 17- Elkus Ranch Field Trip
May 23-Art Show
May 28-No School-Memorial Day Holiday
May 29-June 1-Student Led Conferences-Minimum Day Release all Week @ 12:40pm
June 8-Dance Party
June 21- Last Day of School-Minimum Day Early Dismissal @12:40pm
Wednesday: Technology/Computer Lab
*Book Bags due back every Thursday *