1st Grade - Mrs. Lauren LelieuR
Welcome to First Grade!
This is my fourth year as a Beresford Bear but my eleventh year teaching. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Liberal Studies and a Master of Science degree in Educational Psychology. At Beresford, I am a member of the HET team, PBIS team, and School Site Council.
I grew up in the Washington D.C. area, where I taught first grade, second grade, and third grade. My family moved to the Bay Area in the summer of 2013 to be closer to family.
I live in San Mateo with my husband Chris, daughter Molly and new baby sister expected in September 2018. When I'm not teaching I spend time traveling, cheering for the Washington Nationals and Washington Redskins, rocking out to classic rock music, running after Molly and spending time with family and friends.
MESSAGES FROM MRS. LELIEUR:
- Please make sure that students bring a water bottle to school every day.
- Please make sure to attend the Monday morning announcements in the LGI.
- When students return their "take home book bag" to school they may choose a new book to bring home to read.
- Music is on Thursdays. We have music with Mrs. Goity.
- Library is on Fridays! Students may not check out a new book until the previous book has been returned.
What we are learning:
*We are working on Benchmark Unit 7: Past, Present and Future. The essential question for this unit is: Why is the past important?
As you read with your child:
- Ask your child to identify what type of text it is (fiction, non-fiction, fable, fairytale, folktale, realistic fiction, animal fantasy, poem)
- Ask your child to identify the key details (big ideas) of the text.
- Ask your child to make a prediction (a good guess) while they are reading.
- Ask your child to ask questions while they are reading.
- Ask your child to identify characters and what we can learn about them by what they say, think and do.
- Ask your child to find words with the short vowel sounds of: a, e, i, o, and u, l blends (bl, sl, pl, cl, fl, etc.), r blends (br, cr, dr, etc.), digraphs (ch, sh, th, wh)
- Compare and contrast two texts.
- Use the First grade B.E.A.R. questions
Founder's Day/Talent Show- May 9th
San Mateo History Museum field trip- May 9th
Art Show- May 23rd
Memorial Day Holiday- May 28th
Student-Led Conferences- May 29th- June 1st Minimum Days all week!
PTA Meeting- June 5th
Dance Party- June 8th
Volunteer Tea- June 13th
Last Day of School- June 21st Minimum Day!
First graders are expected to read for a minimum of 15 minutes every night in addition to the weekly homework packet.