Dear Beresford Families,
All the teachers and staff at Beresford are creating a Culture of Reading with our B.E.A.R. time in class and at home so students are actively reading! I love the quote: “When I say to a parent, "read to a child", I don't want it to sound like medicine. I want it to sound like chocolate.”
― Mem Fox, Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever
At Beresford, we all want students to enjoy and love reading. I know it is the season of gift giving, and this season you might want to think about giving your child a book as a gift. Here is a list of Notable Children’s Books of 2017, the best in picture books, middle grade and young adult fiction and nonfiction, selected by the children’s books editor of The New York Times Book Review.
● See’s Candy-Thank you everyone for selling See’s Candy! We made a school record, selling a total of $27,000 worth of candy! 4th grade was the highest selling grade, they sold a total of $7,688. They will be receiving a movie lunch before winter break as a celebration for their hard work. There were many volunteers to help sort out the orders on Saturday morning so they would be ready for pick up this past Monday. Thank you to Claire Weinberg for organizing the whole fundraiser and to the parents who helped organize the candy in the LGI on Saturday:
○ Carrie and Brett Murphy
○ Eric and Kelli Brand
○ Sara and Anton Winter
○ Jennivine Lee
○ Tara Nightengale
○ Gina Beltramo
○ Jenna and Lexi Carson
○ Josh Kirkorian
● The Spirit wear winter sale- The sale for Beresford shirts and sweatshirts is still on until December 22nd. 50% of sweatshirts (adult sizes only) and 10% off short and long sleeve t-shirts. The order forms can be downloaded from here: http://bit.ly/2zuVyjb and it is also available on the PTA website.
● Box Tops-Please still collect and hand in your Box Tops. We are still in the competition of which classroom can bring in the most Box Tops. Please remember to collect and hand in your Box Tops by December 21st.
This month’s Lifelong Guideline is Active Listening.
Active listening means to listen with the intention of understanding what the speaker intends to communicate.
I will actively listen when __________ and try to understand ___________.
This week’s reminders are:
● San Mateo/Foster City School District Town Hall Meeting Schedule
● Coffee Chats with Superintendent Joan Rosas – Dates and Locations
● San Mateo Education Foundation Donation Opportunity
Have a great week,